Vote by mail
To have a ballot mailed to you, complete the online absentee application on the Minnesota Secretary of State's website.
Absentee voters may
- Vote in person during the 46 days prior to a regularly scheduled election.
- Drop off absentee ballots received by mail at the Maple Grove Government Center, 12800 Arbor Lakes Parkway, beginning 46 days before Election Day.
The process can also be completed entirely by mail. Absentee ballots are available 46 days prior to Election Day.
Citizens who are not pre-registered can apply for an absentee ballot and will receive voter registration materials included with their ballot.
Absentee voting hours
You may vote by absentee ballot at the Maple Grove Government Center from:
- June 24 to August 8, 2022, for the primary election
- September 23 to November 7, 2022, for the general election
The Government Center is open from Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Additional extended hours for voting absentee
- Primary election: Saturday, August 6, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., and Monday, August 8, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- General election: Saturday, November 5, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Monday, November 7, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
If you are unable to absentee vote in person at the Government Center, you can complete an absentee ballot application (PDF) and do one of the following:
- Fax to Hennepin County Elections at 612-348-2151
- Email Hennepin County Elections
- Mail to Hennepin County Elections
MC 012 Government Center
300 S 6th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55487
If you're unable to download the application, please call the Maple Grove election line at 763-494-6497 to request an absentee ballot be sent to you. Upon receipt of the completed and signed application, the absentee ballot will be sent to you.
Military and overseas voters
If you are in the military or residing overseas, there is a different process for applying and voting by absentee ballot. Please contact Hennepin County Elections Office at 612-348-5152 or visit the Hennepin County website for more information.
Track your absentee ballot
You can track your absentee ballot using the absentee ballot status lookup feature on the Minnesota Secretary of State website.
On Election Day, the deadlines and requirements for return of an absentee ballot are:
- Absentee ballots delivered by United States Postal Service (USPS) must be received by the city or county election office by the last regular USPS mail delivery on Election Day.
- Absentee ballots hand-delivered by an agent of the voter (a commercial delivery service or any individual other than the voter) must be received by the city or county election office by 3 p.m. on Election Day.
- Absentee ballots may be returned by the voter anytime during the absentee period and up until 3 p.m. on Election Day.
- Absentee ballots cannot be delivered directly to a polling place.